L2i ‘Signature Edition’ Integrated Amplifier
The L2i-SE is our response to “what if?” What if we could combine our L2 Signature Preamplifier and L2 Signature Monoblocks into one chassis but with absolutely minimal concessions to design and performance? Could we still offer all the flexibility, build quality and stunning appearance to truly stand in a class of its own? The L2i-SE is Vinnie Rossi’s realization of that dream.
Unlike the L2 Integrated Amplifier (L2i), which runs a simpler 6SN7 linestage, the L2i-SE inherits from our L2 Signature Preamplifier the direct-heated big power triodes. Only one pair of the finest sounding 4-pin, directly heated triodes (DHT) are run in a dual-mono, class-A, grounded-grid topology with zero feedback. They feed a true dual-mono, high-bandwidth class-AB MOSFET output stage making the L2i-SE a DHT hybrid integrated amplifier and likely the only one of its kind in the world!
There are absolutely no compromises on bandwidth, phase, speed and directness, nor any distracting effects of driver tubes, coupling caps or output transformers to reproduce music with intense spaciousness, harmonic sophistication, liquidity and detail well beyond small triodes and pure transistors alike.
You get the same flexibility as the L2 Signature Preamplifier (flick-of-a-switch tube rolling, tube bypass mode, L2 Dac and Phonostage options) and the full-function L2 remote handset. Merging all of this with superlative build quality, reliability and a 10-year warranty make the L2i-SE a striking single-chassis proposition that sits just one step below our flagship separates!
L2i-SE Features (Linestage)
- Vinnie Rossi’s latest Class-A, ultra wide bandwidth directly heated triode (DHT) preamplifier design, compatible with: 2A3, 45, 300B, PX4, 101D, 205D, and SV811 DHT families with one-switch filament voltage selection
- Dual-mono layout using multiple patented Belleson super regulators for ultra-quiet linear voltage regulation of the triodes, and the (optional) L2 DAC and L2 Phonostage modules
- Discrete, 64-step resistor ladder volume control using Pickering England silent signal relays
- True active balanced (XLR) and single-ended (RCA) line level inputs and preamplifier outputs
- Internal “DHT bypass mode” switches (replaces DHT stage with a Class-A JFET stage)
- Yamamoto solid Teflon UX-4 tube sockets
- Mesh tube covers for added noise shielding and tube protection
- Included tubes: EH300B Gold-Grid (matched pair)
- Full-function aluminum remote control handset
L2i-SE Features (Power output stage)
- Wide-bandwidth, purist Class AB MOSFET topology (only one pair of output devices)
- True dual-mono power supply with custom-wound toroidal power supply transformers
- WBT NextGen 0703cu Speaker Binding Posts
- Solid, precision CNC machined aluminum ‘L2 Isolation Base’ with Stillpoints ULTRA MINI feet.
- Speaker outputs can be switched on/off via the front panel
- Solid, precision CNC machined aluminum chassis and “bank vault,” ball bearing control knobs
- Solid, precision CNC machined aluminum isolation base with Stillpoints ULTRA MINI feet
- Designed and manufactured by Vinnie Rossi in the USA
- 10-year warranty
- Includes custom, military-grade hard travel case
(Tested with 120Vac input)
|100W RMS per channel into 8-ohms (180W RMS per channel into 4-ohms)|
|Output Impedance:||Approx. 0.1 ohm|
|Input Impedance:||Approx. 10k ohm (RCA and XLR inputs)|
|Frequency Response:||0.5Hz – 400kHz (+/- 3dB)|
|Voltage Gain:||32dB (with stock EH300B tubes)|
24dB (DHT Bypass Mode Enabled)
|THD+N (with stock EH300B tubes):||Less than 0.5%|
|THD+N (DHT Bypass Mode Enabled):||Less than 0.01%|
|AC Input:||Factory configured for 110-120Vac, or 220-240Vac (50/60Hz)|
|Protections:||Fused inputs for linestage and power output stage sections|
MOV (AC input surge protection)
Output short circuit protection
|Dimensions (with tube covers|
and isolation base installed):
|Approx. 17.25” wide x 14.5” deep x 8.75” tall (438m x 368mm x 222mm)|
|Weight:||Approx. 48lbs. (22kg)|
|Shipping Weight:||Approx. 72lbs. (33kg), including travel case|
|64 steps (approx. 1dB per step) from -∞ to +8dB|
24 steps from L to R (approx. 1db per step)
- Bit-perfect playback at sampling rates up to PCM 768kHz (16, 24, or 32 bit compatible), as well up to DSD512. Sample rates are viewable from front panel display.
- Dual-mono design, with one flagship AKM AK44497EQ d/a chip per channel.
- Fully discrete, pure Class-A JFET analog outputs stage design with cascode constant-current source biasing (no opamps).
- On-board FPGA buffer and femto-reclocking circuitry negates effects of jitter. Isolated input stages.
- ‘NOS’ (non-oversampling) filter mode with digital filter bypass, as well as a Minimal Phase digital filter mode (selected via the “FILTER” button on the L2 Remote).
- Absolute polarity ‘normal’ / Absolute polarity ‘inverted’ modes (selected via the “PHASE” button on the L2 Remote).
- Belleson Super-regulated voltage feed to numerous ultra-low noise, linear voltage regulators used throughout (for both digital and analog sections).
- “Silent” mute ‘reed relays’ (*barely* an audible click from the board when changing tracks of a different sample rate).
- Inputs: 1 USB, 1 Coax (75-ohm BNC, with included RCA adapter) and 1 TOSLINK (optical).
- Connect up to three devices and switch between them via L2 front panel or the remote handset.
|Output Voltage:||2.0V rms|
|Output Impedance:||< 100 ohms|
|Playback Bit Rates Accepted (PCM):||16, 24, 32|
|PCM Playback||Windows PC: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, and 768kHz – driver included. Mac OSX: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, and 768kHz – no driver required. Sonore: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, and 768kHz|
|DSD Playback||Windows PC: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, and DSD512 (both Native mode, and DoP) – driver included. Mac OSX: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 (DoP) – no driver required. Sonore: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, and DSD512 (both Native mode, and DoP|
- Inputs: 1 set of Moving Magnet (MM), 2 sets of Moving Coil (MC)
- Built-in, on the fly MC remote adjustable cartridge loading (10 – 1000 ohms). Cartridge load setting viewable from L2 front panel display
- Adjustable gain jumpers for MM and MC inputs
- Belleson Super-Regulated split-supply voltage rails
- Four low-noise and low distortion gain stages. Each stage has a nominal gain of 20dB, resulting in higher bandwidth per stage and lower phase shift across the audio band
- Low output impedance design
- DC coupled from input to output (no dc blocking capacitors added in series to the signal path)
- DC Servo keeps output offset negligible
- Design optimization for lowest value thin-film resistors, resulting in the least possible noise
- High accuracy resistors and capacitors used throughout
- 4-layer PCB with separate ground planes for analog and digital (control circuitry)
- Cardas Audio input jacks
- Connect up to three tone arms and switch between them via L2 front panel or the remote handset
|MM Gain Settings:||40dB, 46dB|
|MC Gain Settings:||60dB, 66dB, 72dB|
|Output Impedance:||< 100 ohms|
|Noise (3Vrms output, 1kHz):||> 90dBV|
|THD (3Vrms output, 1kHz):||< 0.002%|
|RIAA Accuracy (20 – 20kHz):||+/- 0.5dB|
|Output DC Offset Voltage:||< 2mV (servo controlled)|