L2i Integrated Amplifier
The L2i is our response to “why not?” Why not simplify our L2 Signature Edition Integrated Amplifier (L2i-SE) for customers looking to avoid the expense of big, exotic direct-heated triodes like the 300B or 2A3? Why not offer the same flexibility, stunning build quality and appearance – including a large percentage of the Vinnie Rossi Signature Edition sound – at a more attractive price point? The L2i is Vinnie Rossi’s answer to that question.
The L2i’s gain stage incorporates a single pair of octal 6SN7 small triodes instead of inferior 12AX7/6922 types. The 6SN7 with its beefier plate structure is tonally far more sophisticated and our top choice when DHTs are too costly. Ours run in a dual-mono, class-A, grounded-grid circuit with zero feedback. This feeds a true dual-mono, high-bandwidth class-AB MOSFET output stage to make the L2i an exceptional hybrid integrated amplifier. The tubes set the sonic characteristics and the transistors add the high-current drive for challenging speaker loads. It’s a best-of-both-worlds scenario with very low maintenance or tube replacement costs.
This integrated amplifier reproduces music with terrific spaciousness, harmonic sophistication, liquidity and detail that transistors simply cannot achieve on their own. You also get the L2 Dac and Phonostage options and full-function L2 remote handset. Merging all of this with superlative build quality, reliability and a 10-year warranty make the L2 a striking single-chassis proposition. It sits just one step below our flagship integrated but at a significant savings to offer you the highest performance/price ratio in our product line.
L2i Features (Linestage)
- Class-A, ultra wide bandwidth, dual 6SN7 octal triodes. Also compatible with CV181, 6N8P and 6BL7 tube families.
- Dual-mono layout patented Belleson super regulator feed for ultra-quiet linear voltage regulation of the triodes, and the (optional) L2 DAC and L2 Phonostage modules
- Discrete, 64-step resistor ladder volume control using Pickering England silent signal relays
- True active balanced (XLR) and single-ended (RCA) line level inputs and preamplifier outputs
- Internal “tube bypass mode” switches (replaces tube linestage with a Class-A JFET stage)
- Included tubes: EH6SN7 (matched pair)
- Full-function aluminum remote control handset
L2i Features (Power output stage)
- Wide-bandwidth, purist Class AB MOSFET topology (only one pair of output devices)
- True dual-mono power supply with custom-wound toroidal power supply transformers
- WBT NextGen 0703cu Speaker Binding Posts
- Solid, precision CNC machined aluminum ‘L2 Isolation Base’ with Stillpoints ULTRA MINI feet.
- Speaker outputs can be switched on/off via the front panel
- Solid, precision CNC machined aluminum chassis and “bank vault,” ball bearing control knobs
- Solid, precision CNC machined aluminum isolation base with Stillpoints ULTRA MINI feet
- Designed and manufactured by Vinnie Rossi in the USA
- 10-year warranty
- Includes custom, military-grade hard travel case
(Tested with 120Vac input)
|100W RMS per channel into 8-ohms (180W RMS per channel into 4-ohms)|
|Output Impedance:||Approx. 0.1 ohm|
|Input Impedance:||Approx. 10k ohm (RCA and XLR inputs)|
|Frequency Response:||0.5Hz – 400kHz (+/- 3dB)|
|Voltage Gain:||32dB (with stock EH300B tubes)
24dB (DHT Bypass Mode Enabled)
|THD+N (with stock EH300B tubes):||Less than 0.5%|
|THD+N (DHT Bypass Mode Enabled):||Less than 0.01%|
|AC Input:||Factory configured for 110-120Vac, or 220-240Vac (50/60Hz)|
|Protections:||Fused inputs for linestage and power output stage sections
MOV (AC input surge protection)
Output short circuit protection
|Dimensions (with tube covers
and isolation base installed):
|Approx. 17.25” wide x 14.5” deep x 8.75” tall (438m x 368mm x 222mm)|
|Weight:||Approx. 48lbs. (22kg)|
|Shipping Weight:||Approx. 72lbs. (33kg), including travel case|
64 steps (approx. 1dB per step) from -∞ to +8dB
24 steps from L to R (approx. 1db per step)
- Bit-perfect playback at sampling rates up to PCM 768kHz (16, 24, or 32 bit compatible), as well up to DSD512. Sample rates are viewable from front panel display.
- Dual-mono design, with one flagship AKM AK44497EQ d/a chip per channel.
- Fully discrete, pure Class-A JFET analog outputs stage design with cascode constant-current source biasing (no opamps).
- On-board FPGA buffer and femto-reclocking circuitry negates effects of jitter. Isolated input stages.
- ‘NOS’ (non-oversampling) filter mode with digital filter bypass, as well as a Minimal Phase digital filter mode (selected via the “FILTER” button on the L2 Remote).
- Absolute polarity ‘normal’ / Absolute polarity ‘inverted’ modes (selected via the “PHASE” button on the L2 Remote).
- Belleson Super-regulated voltage feed to numerous ultra-low noise, linear voltage regulators used throughout (for both digital and analog sections).
- “Silent” mute ‘reed relays’ (*barely* an audible click from the board when changing tracks of a different sample rate).
- Inputs: 1 USB, 1 Coax (75-ohm BNC, with included RCA adapter) and 1 TOSLINK (optical).
- Connect up to three devices and switch between them via L2 front panel or the remote handset.
|Output Voltage:||2.0V rms|
|Output Impedance:||< 100 ohms|
|Playback Bit Rates Accepted (PCM):||16, 24, 32|
|PCM Playback||Windows PC: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, and 768kHz – driver included. Mac OSX: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, and 768kHz – no driver required. Sonore: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176, 192, 352, 384, 705, and 768kHz|
|DSD Playback||Windows PC: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, and DSD512 (both Native mode, and DoP) – driver included. Mac OSX: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 (DoP) – no driver required. Sonore: DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, and DSD512 (both Native mode, and DoP|
- Inputs: 1 set of Moving Magnet (MM), 2 sets of Moving Coil (MC)
- Built-in, on the fly MC remote adjustable cartridge loading (10 – 1000 ohms). Cartridge load setting viewable from L2 front panel display
- Adjustable gain jumpers for MM and MC inputs
- Belleson Super-Regulated split-supply voltage rails
- Four low-noise and low distortion gain stages. Each stage has a nominal gain of 20dB, resulting in higher bandwidth per stage and lower phase shift across the audio band
- Low output impedance design
- DC coupled from input to output (no dc blocking capacitors added in series to the signal path)
- DC Servo keeps output offset negligible
- Design optimization for lowest value thin-film resistors, resulting in the least possible noise
- High accuracy resistors and capacitors used throughout
- 4-layer PCB with separate ground planes for analog and digital (control circuitry)
- Cardas Audio input jacks
- Connect up to three tone arms and switch between them via L2 front panel or the remote handset
|MM Gain Settings:||40dB, 46dB|
|MC Gain Settings:||60dB, 66dB, 72dB|
|Output Impedance:||< 100 ohms|
|Noise (3Vrms output, 1kHz):||> 90dBV|
|THD (3Vrms output, 1kHz):||< 0.002%|
|RIAA Accuracy (20 – 20kHz):||+/- 0.5dB|
|Output DC Offset Voltage:||< 2mV (servo controlled)|